Role of School Boards
"The local school board is a critical public link to public schools. Whether elected or appointed, school board members serve their communities in several important ways.
- First and foremost school boards look out for students. Education is not a line item on the school board’s agenda—it is the only item.
- When making decisions about school programs, school boards incorporate their community’s view of what students should know and be able to do.
- School boards are accessible to the public and accountable for the performance of their schools.
- School boards are the education watchdog for their communities, ensuring that students get the best education for the tax dollars spent."
- "The Role of School Boards”. Center for Public Education. National School Boards Association, 2015, Feb 2015 (Link)"